[pygtk] OS X Deployment

Chris Van Bael chris.van.bael at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 20:34:46 WST 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Bertrand
Kintanar<b3rxkintanar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/21/09 3:19 PM, Chris Van Bael wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> unfortunately I cannot help you, but maybe you can help me ;-)
>
> I'm still struggling with installing PyGTK on OSX.
> Did you use the system's Python (from Apple) or Python's Python (from
> Python.org)?
> I tried the route of jhbuild, but PyGTK only gets installed in the
> system's Python.
> Do you know how it can be installed with Python's Python using jhbuild?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris
>

> Sure! no probs. Well first of, were you able to install the GTK+ OSX
> framework? you need that to be able to make PyGTK to work. ill send you a
> log of my jhbuild installation.
>
> im not sure what the best setup instructions but here's what worked for me..
>
> download gtk-osx-build-setup.sh from:
> http://github.com/jralls/gtk-osx-build/raw/master/gtk-osx-build-setup.sh and
> save it to your home directory.
> fire up terminal and navigate to your home directory and run the command sh
> gtk-osx-build-setup.sh
> the shell script will warn you that ~/.local/bin isnt added to your
> envorinment variable to do this, edit your .profile file located at your
> home directory and /User/<username>/.local/bin to your environment variable.
> to know more on how to edit this file check out:
> http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2621/os_x_change_path_environment_variable/
> after that, do a ~/.local/bin/jhbuild bootstrap command. it will download
> and install some necessary utilities.
> download and install the beta version of the gtk+ osx framework at:
> http://ftp.imendio.com/pub/imendio/gtk-osx/Gtk-Framework-2.14-LATEST.dmg
> before installing the meta-gtk-osx-python, you need to build and install
> some other packages that jhbuild doesnt install automatically, so what i did
> was i installed libpng by doing the command: ~/.local/bin/jhbuild build
> libpng
> you also need to install libtiff so do the command: ~/.local/bin/jhbuild
> build libtiff
> and also gtk-doc is needed so: ~/.local/bin/jhbuild build gtk-doc
> and finally you can now install meta-gtk-osx-python by doing a:
> ~/.local/bin/jhbuild build meta-gtk-osx-python
>
> *** I hope that helps. this was done by the default username and by not
> doing a sudo command. ***

Hey,

thanks for the extensive explanation.
One question still: was PyGTK then added to the Python.org's Python?
I had no problems installing PyGTK under the Apple Python, but it
didn't recognize the Python.org's one.
Didn't know about the libtiff and libpng though...

Thanks,

Chris