[pygtk] Preventing Window Refresh

Damien Moore damienlmoore at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 22:02:42 WST 2009

In a gui application I'm developing, I have a button that when pressed hides
several parts of the gui and displays a fullscreen view of the remaining
window

The relevant code is along the lines of:

def clicked_signal(self,button_widget):
  self.widget1.hide()
  self.widget2.hide()
  self.widget3.hide()
  self.widget4.hide()
  self.window.fullscreen()

widget1,..., widget4 are inside various hboxes nested in the main window

This works but looks terrible as the window seems to refresh after each
widget gets hidden. what I want to know is if there is a way to block
recalculation and refresh of the window during each of these intermediate
steps? e.g. something like:

def clicked_signal(self,button_widget):
  self.freeze()
  self.widget1.hide()
  self.widget2.hide()
  self.widget3.hide()
  self.widget4.hide()
  self.window.fullscreen()
  self.thaw()

hopefully this makes sense? Alternatively, maybe there's a better way to
hide the gui elements?