[pygtk] PyGTK and visual python integration

Michele Mattioni mattions at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 02:15:10 WST 2009

Hello PyGTK list,

I'm trying to use Visual Python [1] with PyGTK.

My goal is to run the PyGTK app from an ipython console with the interactive
loop, to launch the visual python and to be able to process the input coming
from the console.

I was able to do it on ubuntu jaunty, but for some reasons this is not the
case anymore in karmic.

The version I was using before of Ipython 0.9.1, what is shipped with karmic
is 0.10.
The PyGTK in jaunty is 2.14.1-1ubuntu1 and in karmic is 2.16.0-0ubuntu1

With the 0.9.1 ipython version and the 2.14 PyGTK I was able to achieve this
behaviour starting the console with the -pylab options, and I was using
GTKAgg as my backend.

In my program it was possible to start a visual window clicking on a gtk
button. I attach a simple case code to show the problem.

What has changed ?

Is Ipython, PyGTK or both?

[1] http://vpython.org/
[2] http://ipython.scipy.org