[pygtk] licenses

John Ehresman jpe at wingware.com
Mon Dec 7 06:17:59 WST 2009

On 12/6/09 4:35 PM, Martin Bílek wrote:
>> Pygtk and the gtk+ stack are LGPL so you must dynamically link and
>> provide a way to obtain the source.  Wing IDE does this.
>>
> thanks for info.
> but only way to obtain source code of wingide is buy PRO version. thats
> mean for me that i may sell my app for some money if i give source to
> buyer right ?

You can sell your app for money.  What you must do if you use LGPL'd
libraries is to dynamically line to those libraries and provide a way
for users to obtain source to the LGPL'd libraries.  I'm simplifying
here; I suggest you read the license and look at some of the many
explanations on the web, including http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html

You do not need to buy a license to Wing IDE Professional to obtain the
source to the LGPL'd libraries shipped with Wing.

I should add that I am not a lawyer so this is not legal advice.

Cheers,

John