[pygtk] PyGTK GUI update without signals from GUI

Stephen George steve_geo at optusnet.com.au
Wed Apr 16 09:33:21 WST 2008

Hi Andrew,

> To be more descriptive, I have a small
> program (~400 lines) that controls a digital camera and does some
> image processing in a scripting fashion.  This program will run
> infinitely.
> There are about 7 points in this program where I would
>
> like to update my GUI.  If I implement threading, I will spawn just
> one thread for this program.  I still am unsure of the best way to do
> this.

Have a look at the pyGTK Faqs http://faq.pygtk.org
there is a number on threading
http://faq.pygtk.org/index.py?req=show&file=faq20.006.htp
http://faq.pygtk.org/index.py?req=show&file=faq20.009.htp
http://faq.pygtk.org/index.py?req=show&file=faq20.015.htp
and many more useful information on the faqs

of interest to you might be the info on this BLOG
http://www.johnstowers.co.nz/blog/index.php/2007/03/12/threading-and-pygtk/
download the demo, shows threading and signal creation/use
> Also, what is the GObject module and how does it differ from the pygtk module?

 From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GObject
...GObject is a cornerstone of GNOME and is used throughout GTK+, Pango,
Accessibility Toolkit, and most higher-level GNOME libraries and
applications. Prior to GTK+ 2.0, the GObject code was part of the GTK+
codebase. (The name “GObject” was not yet in use — the common baseclass
was called GtkObject.)

The release of GTK+ 2.0 had the object system extracted into a separate
library due to its general utility. In the process, most
non-GUI-specific parts of the GtkObject class was moved up into GObject,
the new common baseclass. Having existed as a separate library since
March 11, 2002 (the release date of GTK+ 2.0), the GObject library is
now used by many non-GUI programs such as command-line and server
applications.
======
 From http://www.pygtk.org/downloads.html
you will see PyGObject listed as a download target for windows

So my understanding is
GTK+ is dependent on GObject. (c code libraries)
pyGTK is the bindings to GTK+
pyGObject is the bindings to GObject

Have a look through the Wikipedia page and you notice the GObject
provides the signaling mechanism of which you want to create custom
signals for your own use.

Steve