[pygtk] gnome-python split proposal

Christian Robottom Reis kiko at async.com.br
Sun Aug 29 06:59:27 WST 2004

On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 06:07:59PM +0100, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
>   I would like to know what the pygtk/gnome community thinks about
> splitting gnome-python, according to the following plan:
>
>   - gnome-python keeps the modules that are part of gnome developer
> platform[1]:
> 	o gnome, gnome.ui, gnome.vfs, gnome.canvas
> 	o bonobo, bonobo.activation, bonobo.ui
> 	o gconf
>
>   - We create a new pygtk-extra package containing everything else,
> including:
> 	o gnome.applet
> 	o gnome.nautilus
> 	o gtkhtml2
> 	o gnomeprint, gnomeprint.ui

Given that most/all packages are gnome-dependent, we should probably
just have gnome-python-extra include the gnome bits we want, and leave
pygtk-extra for whenever it becomes necessary.

People could request addition of pygtk-only modules in
gnome-python-extra for now if they wanted "official" distribution from
pygtk.org.

>   I believe this split leaves gnome-python in a better position for
> inclusion in the next gnome bindings release.

Agreed 100%. Murray will be proud <wink>.

Take care,
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 3361 2331