[pygtk] gnome-python split proposal

Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro gjc at inescporto.pt
Sun Aug 29 01:07:59 WST 2004

  I would like to know what the pygtk/gnome community thinks about
splitting gnome-python, according to the following plan:

  - gnome-python keeps the modules that are part of gnome developer
platform[1]:
	o gnome, gnome.ui, gnome.vfs, gnome.canvas
	o bonobo, bonobo.activation, bonobo.ui
	o gconf

  - We create a new pygtk-extra package containing everything else,
including:
	o gnome.applet
	o gnome.nautilus
	o gtkhtml2
	o gnomeprint, gnomeprint.ui

    At this point we would have more liberty to add other useful modules
to pygtk-extra, such as:
	o pygtksourceview
	o some libegg stuff (tray, recent-files, ...)
	o gtkspell
	o ...

  I believe this split leaves gnome-python in a better position for
inclusion in the next gnome bindings release.

[1] http://www.gnome.org/start/2.7/platform/

  Regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro