[pygtk] Wrapping gtksourceview [WORKS]

James Henstridge james@daa.com.au
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 12:11:49 +0800

ha shao wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 09:21:03AM +0800, James Henstridge wrote:
>

>>There are two options here.  The first is to add the binding to pygtk or
>>gnome-python.  The second is to distribute a stand alone package.
>>

>vte and libgsf include python binding under a python/ subdirectory.
>And the python binding can be compiled by supply a flag to ./configure.
>
>If the upstream do python, it will be good since he/she can also
>check in interface changed into the python binding when needed.
>If the upstream don't do python, pythhon will not likely be included.

This is another issue I missed in my previous message.  Where a binding
goes also depends on the dependencies of the library it is wrapping.
 For instance, it would be bad to put a binding for a library that used
libgsf into pygtk, as it would create a dependency loop (pygtk requires
libfoo which requires libgsf in order to build the foo bindings, and
libgsf requires pygtk in order to build the gsf python bindings).

Such a loop causes all sorts of problems (you would usually need to
build one of the packages twice), so we don't want to push pygtk too far
up the dependency chain.  Bindings in the "gnome-python" package are
less of an issue though.

James.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au              | Linux.conf.au   http://linux.conf.au/