[pygtk] stricter versioning in scripts

Christian Reis kiko@async.com.br
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 13:18:53 -0300

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 04:00:57PM -0400, David I. Lehn wrote:
> I've had a slight problem with pygtk1 vs pygtk2 recently.  The Debian
> packages are setup such that pygtk.pth defaults to pygtk1.  Even when
> only pygtk2 is installed the maintainer still won't setup pygtk.pth to
> use pygtk2 [1].  This breaks all pygtk2 scripts including all the

I guess it's reasonable. If he did set up pygtk.pth to use pygtk2
instead of pygtk, scripts that required pygtk-0 would crash or fail when
running, without a good explanation.

> Perhaps to solve such problems and future-proof scripts it might be a
> good idea to require that pygtk.require(...) is called in scripts from
> now on.  If not specified the gobject/gtk import could annoy/warn the
> user.

What about old scripts? It *might* be reasonable to require pygtk2 apps
to call require(), and complain in that case. But how could we detect
it's a pygtk2 app? I see no way.

Take care,